Monday, October 27, 2014

The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty

Have you ever heard of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty?  Before writing this post, I thought about a video that I once saw about teenage girls pointing out their insecurities and realizing they have nothing to be insecure about.  This video had a major impact on me because I saw it a very long time ago.  The major thing I did remember about the video was the brand it represented: Dove.

So I browsed through Dove's website and discovered that I just could not get off.  I came across Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty that was created in 2004 to "broaden the definition of beauty by challenging stereotypical conventions" (Dove).  The webpage promotes the hashtag "#feelbeautyfor" to ask women and girls to share what they think beauty means.  This allows the women to post pictures and thoughts of their ideas of real beauty.  Users can uses social media such as Instagram, Twitter and the Dove website to share these ideas.

The main reason I got so hypnotized by this website was because of Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty videos.  They truly show what real beauty is and how it can affect our lives.  I picked out a few of these videos that I strongly advise everyone, especially any girl or woman, to watch:

Dove asked a few mothers to write a list of how they feel about their bodies.  Then, they asked all of these mothers' daughters to write how the daughters feel about their own bodies.  It is astonishing how similar the responses are from mother to daughter.  We learn that daughters echo what they hear from their mothers.

This video shows an artist sketching his ideas of how each woman in the video looks by how the women describe themselves, without actually seeing them.  When other people are asked to describe these woman, their descriptions are completely different and surprisingly more accurate.  Those sketches actually turn out significantly more beautiful.

Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty is not only teaching girls and woman to feel comfortable and beautiful in their own bodies.  It is also a remarkable PR evolution.  Dove's genius strategy to make sure women appreciate the brand and are able to connect with the brand makes it all the more marketable for customers.  I can say from firsthand, after watching these videos and connecting with the company through the internet and social media, I will proudly continue to be a loyal customer to Dove.

No comments:

Post a Comment