Sunday, November 9, 2014

All About That... Body Image

Have you heard the new smash hit on the radio by Meghan Trainor titled, "All About That Bass?" Well in case you have been hiding under a rock the past few months, you definitely need to check out this song:
I must admit this is an extremely catchy song and I was loved it the first time I heard it, but after I really listened to the lyrics, I began to see it as kind of offensive.  I enjoy the underlying message of the song: teaching girls with curves to be comfortable with their bodies.  I do not, however, appreciate how the lyrics depict and even look down upon slimmer body types by calling them "skinny bitches."

It is understandable that more girls are self-conscience about being "fat" than there are people concerned with being "skinny," but that doesn't mean skinnier people should be patronized for having a certain body type.  I know many naturally thin people who have a terrible time trying to gain weight to look more curvy, or more attractive to the opposite sex.  These people are just as self-conscience, or more self-conscience, about their bodies as bigger people.  Why must society put some people down in order to please others?

So, I searched the web to see if anyone else felt this way about Meghan Trainor's popular song.  I came across this cover video, written and sung by Natty Valencia.  She noticed that the original song, despite being seemingly body positive, is pretty objectifying and skinny-shaming.  So, she decided to make her own version directed to every body type, and it's pretty awesome if you ask me.
Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment