Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Giving Thanks to Grandmothers

This Thanksgiving, I was able to give thanks in the best way I knew how: by celebrating my grandmother's life.
My grandmother, Ruthann Vrahas (or "Nana," as her grandchildren call her), passed away in the beginning of September.  Because my grandmother donated her body to science studies (like the saint that she was), she did not receiver a proper burial.  As a family, we decided Nana still needed a proper ceremony to celebrate her life.  Because many of her grandchildren are in college, it was decided to have a memorial service for Nana when everyone was easily available: Thanksgiving weekend.

Even though the service was terribly sad, I am grateful that I got to spend my holiday this way.  The service made me realize what a wonderful woman my grandmother was and how she brought all of us together as a family.  I was even given the privilege to sing one of her favorite songs, "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins, one of Nana's favorite movies that we always watched together when I was little.

The service was very meaningful to me.  We sang some of her favorite songs and My Uncle and Aunt, children of Nana, presented eulogies that triggered tears, laughter, and incredible memories of a woman that made such a great impact on my life.  We were holding in our goodbyes for a few months now, so I am glad we got the official chance to wish Nana peace.

Nana was always the reason the whole family got together: siblings, cousins, parents, aunts and uncles; Nana always had that power of bringing everyone closer.  She is the reason we have all of these memories of all the times we shared.  (And I must say, we have some pretty great ones.)  Like Nana always does, she brought the whole family together once again this Thanksgiving.  Although Nana was not physically there, she was still there in spirit to bring back all of the wonderful memories we shared as a family and to watch over us as we make many more memories together.

Rest easy, Nana. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Elena, I am sorry for your loss. Words cannot describe how much someone can love someone so much. I recently lost a close family member and I know she is in a way better place now than she was here on earth. What I have learned from death is that people who you had no connection with before can really help you in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete