Monday, September 1, 2014

My Discovery of PR

When I fist came to college, I had no idea what pubic relations even was.  I came to Ohio Northern as a musical theatre major, and half way through my freshman year, decided that it would be a good idea to receive a secondary major to make myself more marketable.  Then I came across public relations.  If ever I find myself not able to perform as a living, I would love to invest myself in a career that still kept me in my comfort zone, the theatre.

As I have found out by recently picking up my second major of public relations, PR is everywhere, even in the theatre community.   A typical public relations in the theatre involves promoting events and opportunities that theaters and companies are offering, and interacting with the creative/marketing teams.

In Public relations, social media is a tremendous tool to promote and market companies and their products.  In this generation, it is basically essential.  For example, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter are all great tools that companies use to promote their brands.

Every industry you can think of uses public relations.  For example, in the fashion industry, a Public Relations Professional primarily promotes the publicity of designers, shops and fashion brands. Fashion PR companies can represent many different brands across a range of areas devoted to the business of making and selling clothes.  It encompasses the design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, retailing, advertising, and promotion of all types of apparel (men’s, women’s, and children’s).

Pinterest would be my first choice in promoting a fashion brand.  With the benefits of social media, specifically Pinterest, brands can post pictures of their products to be viewed by the public, ultimately making their brand more known to the public.

As I learn more about my newfound major, I am excited to discover more tactics and ideas in the study of public relations.  I am extremely anxious to see what new things this major can give me!

No comments:

Post a Comment